The Campo Santo, The Funuraria
An urban cemetery and its chapel
The cloister-cemetery of St John, named Campo Santo after its restauration, was built in the first third of the 14th century. The cloister galleries were covered by a slooping roof supported by columns with sculpted capitals.Each funeral recess, of a refined gothic, is marked with escutcheons bearing the arms of rich families of Perpignan . A central ossuary was dug in 1321.In the north east, the funeraria, dedicated to St John-the-Evangelist, built at the end of the 14 th century, embellished with contemporary stained glasses by Shirley Jaffé, was intended for funerary ceremonies.