Dominicans Convent

 

 

 

 

A well preserved architectural grouping

The Dominicans settled in St Jacques in 1240 to take in hand the  population settled outside the first wall.The large gothic church covered in wooden framework, one of the two cloisters and the capitular chapel reached us in a rather good state in spite of the devastating fires and a long occupation by the Army , partly before the French revolution. Paradoxically the military occupation safeguarded this remarkable architectural grouping, the only one out of four convents of the mendicant orders to reach us. The church, now property of the city, was restored in the 80's.

Type de patrimoine : 
Patrimoine religieux
Période : 
Moyen âge
Quartier : 
Saint-Jacques
Voir tous les :