The ancient university
A privileged instrument of frenchfying
The university of Perpignan, founded in the 14th century in the St Matthieu Quarter, declining, had no premises since 1710. This building erected at the initiative of the Count of Mailly,was completed in1763. On the ground floor,a large room for the public acts precedes an anatomy amphitheatre « la rotonde ». Arts,theology, law and medicine were taught there until 1793. Mailly set up the first city library there. The majestic frontage of classical style expresses the will to integrate the Roussillon elite to the FrenchAge of Enlightenment.