The Clare Royal Convent
A mixing of religious and prison architecture
The 13th century Clares’ monastery located outside the walls had been devastated during the 1475 siege.The nuns appealed to Charles Quint who had this convent built in which he affixed his coats of arms, in the middle of the 16th century. Its architecture is medieval, the church with a flat chevet had the structure of a southern gothic church. The remains of the cloister show semi circular arcades. Nationalised in 1792, turned into a civil prison from 1805 to 1986, a chapel was fitted out in the centre of the church for the prisoners. The building now belonging to the city shelters exhibition halls.