The convention centre
A 1970 building revisited.
The centre for Culture and Youth, inaugurated in 1970, expresses the policy of democratisation of culture and leisures in the 60's . Its installation at the end of the Promenade des platanes, entailed the shifting of the 1870 war memorial, topped by a statue by sculptor Jean Baptiste Belloc, now at the top of the Jean Bourrat boulevard. Massive and functional, the architecture of the Convention Centre is due to the Perpignanese Borde and Benezet, architects of the « New Town » in the Moulin à vent quarter. It was dedicated to Georges Pompidou in 1999 and remodelled by Alain Sarfati, architect.