Emblematic monument of Perpignan
From the last third of the 14th century, people entered Perpignan after crossing a humpback bridge, several times rebuilt, through a fortified gate: the Castillet. It was erected in the middle of the walls to keep watch on the crossing of the stone bridge, and the entrances to the town. Enlarged by the Our Lady gate under LouisXI, in 1483, in the 16th century it became an autonomous fortress shut in the Charles Quint bastion. Built of bricks, with its openings bonded with freestones, turned into a prison from th 16th century to the 19th century, then into a museum in the 20th century, it has become the symbol of the city.
Pour plus d'information