The Casa Xanxo
An enigmatic gothic house
Built in 1508 by Bernat Xanxo, a rich cloth trader promoted to « esteemed bourgeois” of the city two years later, this beautiful gothic house included warehouses and a vault which allowed the storage of goods, and a large reception hall upstairs. Some fittings in the 17th century modified the interior of the residential part of the building. The Casa Xanxo was subjected to many changes till 1942. The noble storey was underlined by a frieze, showing sequences with grotesque animals, which is still enigmatic.