The great carmelite convent
A strong imprint of the Army
From the great carmelite convent built around the middle of the 13th century, only the remains of the Ste Marie church are left,strongly damaged by an explosion and a fire in 1944, the choir and the nave collapsed 20 years later. Partly let to the Army at the beginning of the 18th century the conventual buildings were transformed into an arsenal in 1792. The cloister, dismantled and sold, was rebuilt in a private manor in Aude: a marking on the ground shows its location. Archeological excavations at the beginning of the 21st century, reveal the existence of a crypt dating from the 15th century in front of the choir.