The walls of perpignan
From the cellera to Vauban
The cellera, sacred space around St John church, was most likely surrounded by a fence or a wall made of pebbles. At the end of the 12th century a wall surrounded the whole St John parish. Under the kings of Majorca, when Perpignan, capital city of the kingdom, increased its living space four times, a gigantic wall 3 kilometers long was built between 1248 and1340. Its perimeter settled the limits of the city for six centuries. These walls reinforced by the Castillan and French kings between the 15th and the 17th centuries, were transformed into « carcan »(fortifications encircling the city) by Vauban and demolished in the first third of the 20th century.